Benvenuto di Giovanni
Painted on gold leaf, with typical symbols of 15th century Italian art such as the star on Mary’s right shoulder, a symbol of virginity and a goldfinch,a symbol of Christ’s passion. The words “AVE GRATIA PLENA DOM(ini)” are inscribed inside the Madonna’s halo.
The work comes from the chapel of San Filippo Neri and we have proof that it was located in the Baroque choir of San Lorenzo cathedral in 1907. In 1930 it was transferred to the chapel of the Bishop’s Seminary and during the second world war it was conserved in the Cathedral’s archives.
In 1938 it was restored by M. Amadio.
F. Mason Perkins attributes the work to Benvenuto di Giovanni, an artist of Siena.
Other works of Benvenuto can be found in the Siena area while the New York Metropolitan Museum owns an Annunciation dating from 1498.
– M. GALEOTTI, L’ Illustrissima città di Viterbo , Viterbo, 2000, p. 571.
– F. M. PERKINS, Rassegna d’arte senese, II, Siena 1907.
– P. STRINATI, Il quattrocento a Viterbo, Roma 1983.
– M. C. BANDERA VIANI, Benvenuto Di Giovanni, 1999