Palazzo dei Papi is the most important historic monument of Viterbo, it is a symbol of the city. Born from an extension of the original bishopric, the Palace was built when Pope Alexander IV (1254-1261) transferred the papal headquarters in Viterbo.
Nowadays several areas of the Palace are opened to public: the gorgeous Loggia delle Benedizioni (best known as Loggia dei Papi) built in 1267 and typified by many trefoil pointed archs which constitute the scene of San Lorenzo Plaza; the majestic Aula del Conclave, so called for hosting the first and longest conclave in the history, lasted 33 months, built by the district of Viterbo represented by People’s Captain Raniero Gatti, exponent of the most important guelf family of the city; the Sala Gualterio, entirely decorated with frescoes and distinguished, particularly, from the presence of the emblem of Pope Clemente VIII (1592-1605), was committed by Bishop Sebastiano Gualterio from Orvieto (1551-1556) who wanted to enlarge the Curia.
The tour, beginning from the Museo Colle del Duomo, is enriched with the visit of the San Lorenzo Cathedral and his hidden areas: the monumental sacristy, committed by Cardinal Muzio Gallo, entirely covered with walnut wood and gold, with frescos on its vault, and the baroque choir, hidden behind the central apse (built after the war). Inside the choir it is possible to admire the frescos made in 1683 by Giuseppe Passeri and the “Martirio di S. Lorenzo” painting, made by G.F. Romanelli in 1652.
Book a visit to Polo Monumentale Colle del Duomo
The ticket includes the entrance to the Papal Palace, the hidden parts of the cathedral and the Colle del Duomo Museum with audio guide included.
- The visit lasts 45 minutes
- Hours: Winter: 10a.m.-1p.m. and 3p.m.-6p.m. Summer: 10a.m.-1p.m. and 3p.m.-7p.m. (August: 10a.m.-1p.m. and 3p.m.-8p.m.)
- Last visit 45 minutes before closing time.
- Open daily