HOW MANY PORTERS ARE THERE?
There are 113 porters at the beginning of the transport divided into specific roles:
- 63 CIUFFI: Those underneath the macchina. Each line has 9 persons;
- 16 SPALLETTE FISSE: Those who are set under the long side bases and remain there during the entire transport;
- 12 STANGHETTE: Those set on the short sides of the base who remain there for the entire transport;
- 22 ADDED SPALLETTE: Those who join in on the sides of the spallette fisse during the final part of the transport.
In the final part, from Piazza Verdi to the Sanctuary of Santa Rosa, due to the steepness, new forces are added:
- 20 LEVE: Added on at the rear for the final part;
- 30 CORDE: Added on the front to pull;
Along the itinerary there are other support groups:
- 6 CAVALLETTI: Porters who take care of inserting the base supports which allow for stops along the way;
- RESERVE: These are porters ready to enter in case of emergency;
- MEDICAL STAFF: necessary to give help and check the physical conditions of each porter at every stop;
- TRANSPORT WORKERS: A varied number of porters who no longer carry the Macchina but help with their experience to guide the Macchina along the narrow city streets.
The Macchina is led by the President of the Sodality and the Head Porter who guide the entire transport.