BRIEF HISTORY OF THE “MACCHINA”
The festival of Santa Rosa first appears in official documents of 1512 when it was organized by the city’s wealthy families, mentioned on documents from 1664 to 1742.
Models from this period can be seen in the museum. The Macchina grew in height and weight through the 18th and 19th centuries and was always richly decorated. Many of these models were done by members of the Papini family. The procession has been held annually except in the years between 1802 and 1809 when the pope suspended it due to accidents and during World War II.