COLLE DEL DUOMO MUSEUM

Also called the Museum of the Cathedral Hill (Museo Colle del Duomo) it was created during the Jubilee Year 2000 thanks to the Curia and the wishes of Mons. Salvatore del Ciuco, to conserve and valorize the Diocese’s patrimony.

Over the years it has had ups and downs but since 2005 it has regularly been open and has promoted the creation of the new historical complex which includes the Cathedral and the Papal Palace. Important spaces for the city’s history and culture are now available as well as a point of reference for tourists who visit the city and the Tuscia region.

Inside the complex there is a large conference room used also for temporary exhibitions.

The Museum is part of the guided tour along with the Cathedral of San Lorenzo and the Papal Palace.

It is organized in three separate sections:

Capitello di Magister Guilelmus

ARCHEOLOGY SECTION

A visit to the Museum helps to understand the history of the Cathedral and the past of Viterbo. In the archeological part there are Villanovan, Etruscan, Roman and medieval finds as well as a small excavation done during the building work of the Museum.

Madonna della Carbonara

ART HISTORY SECTION

In the art gallery there important works dating from the 13th century such as the Madonna della Carbonara. The visit includes masterpieces of Benvenuto di Giovanni, the Crucifixion attributed to Michelangelo and the Caravaggio- style works of Barolomeo Cavarozzi, as well as those by 17th Roman artist Domenico Corvi and Giovan Francesco Romanelli.

SACRED ART SECTION – THE POPES’ TREASURY

There are vestments and sacred objects once belonging to popes, from the Portuguese pope John XXI (1276-1277) up to Pius IX (1846-1878). Admirable are the many precious objects used by cardinals and bishops such as the ancient vestments of St. Boniface from the 12th century. In the art gallery there is a portrait of Pope Innocent XIII, bishop of Viterbo from 1712 to 1719.

WHAT TO SEE AT THE MUSEUM

Pallium of John XXI

Silk and gold III secolo   In Catholic liturgy the pallium is generally a strip of white wool worn around the neck by the highest levels of the church and indicates the bishop’s dignity. In this case it is a silk and gold pallium belonging to Pope John XXI (Giovanni XXI) who was elected in…

Details

La Fortezza e la Temperanza di A.A. Falaschi - The cardinal virtues

The cardinal virtues

Oil painting on canvas 1756 Anton Angelo Falaschi cm. 50×20   A signed and dated 1756 sketch probably for a painting on the side of the dome of the Gonfalone. In the foreground are two figures identified as Fortitude and Temperance. The group is relaxing on a cloud that seems to float freely in an…

Details

Works by Francesco Nagni

This section contains many sketches by Viterbo artist Francesco Nagni for works done in bronze and present throughout the world. The majority of his works are in Italy where he had many state and church commissions. Viterbo has two of his works done in the 60s: the monument to the III Granatieri Regiment in bronze…

Details

Lapidarium

Following the inspections on the Duomo hill recently the remains of tombs were found. During the works done at the end of the 1800s the pavements in the side naves were removed and with them many tombstones. The finding, first cleaning and recomposition were done with Archeoares and the Tuscia University organizing a temporary exhibition…

Details

Annunciation by Lodovico Mazzanti

Oil painting on canvas Late 17th century Lodovico Mazzanti cm. 97 x 73 The work “Annunciation” was originally in the Suffragio Church before it was given to the Museum del Colle. THE WORK The composition of the painting of the apparition of the Virgin to S. Lucia in the Cathedral of Viterbo includes an impeccable…

Details

Martyrdom of Saint Bartholomew

Martyrdom of Saint Bartholomew

Olio su tela Vincenzo Strigelli 1740 cm. 150 x 90   Martyrdom of Saint Bartholomew by Viterbo painter Vincenzo Strigelli (1720-1786?) for Bartolomeo Orioli. We have only fragmentary information about the saint’s life. According to tradition he was a missionary in the middle east where he was killed and his skin removed. The best known…

Details

Transport of the Holy House

Transport of the Holy House

Oil painting on canvas 1750-1760 ca. Ludovico Mazzanti (Rome 1686 – Viterbo 1775) cm 234×168   Ludovico Mazzanti, a student of Giovan Battista Gaulli (known as Baciccio 1639-1709), worked mostly in Orvieto , where his family originated, as well as in Viterbo, Perugia, Città di Castello and Naples. THE WORK The altar piece was very…

Details

Reliquary cross

Reliquary cross

Cross: silver zone, chiseled, carved, rock crystal Reliquary: golden silver, gems 1634 Giovanni Francesco Frangi height 57 cm, width 28 cm, base 15 cm   The inscription on the base reveals that Cardinal Tiberio Muti, Bishop of Viterbo in 1634, had this reliquary containing fragments of wood from Christ’s cross gilded. The tiny Calvary with…

Details

Vestments

Vestments

Linen, silk and gold 17th-20th centuries   Among the vestments conserved in the Museum there are several copes wide, semicircular robes used like capes, open in front and held with a clasp, chausubles the robe used during the celebration of the mass in different colors according to the liturgical season; stoles or strips of linen,…

Details

Saint Anthony the Great

Saint Anthony the Great

Painted wood Author unknown 16th century cm. 60 x 45 x 180   The figure of Saint Anthony the Great is depicted standing, dressed with tunic and mantel displaying a Tau, symbol of the saint. The right hand is holding a book while the left hand might have been holding a staff. Before it arrived…

Details